The best Boonie hat is versatile. You can use these Boonie hats for protection against the elements in any outdoor activity. The best men’s Boonie hat for hunting provides camouflage, is practical, and is stylish and functional for everyday use.
Check our Buying Guide to find the best men’s Boonie hat that matches your lifestyle.
Browse through the FAQs section to find out more about why these hats are so popular. Find out how the best military Boonie hat, what else this headgear is useful for, and how to take care of your best Boonie hat for hunting.
Our Buying Guide showcases the top five best Boonie hats. Our choices are based on various factors such as the fabric, style, uses, pros, and cons.
Another primary element for ranking these hats is to identify the best Boonie hat for hunting.
- Tru-Spec Boonie
- Sombriolet Sun Hat
- Dorfman Pacific Outback
- LETHMIK Outdoor
- Rapiddominance Boonies Hat
Best Boonie HatS For Hunting:
1. Winner Tru-Spec Boonie
This Tru-Spec Boonie is the best camo Boonie, the best for military exercises, and the best all-around hat for sun protection.
Whether you want the best Boonie for hunting, fishing, hiking, or any other leisure pursuit, this one comes out tops.
This best Boonie for hunting will make even the most discerning outdoorsman a happy camper.
It comes with loads of extras like storage space and adjustable fittings.
Material: 50/50 nylon and cotton blend
Closure: No closure
- Tru-Spec men’s Boonie hat is excellent for protection against all-weather conditions.
- Multiple storage space ensures you have somewhere to put your pocketknife, tin opener, and anything else that fits in small spaces.
- An adjustable chin strap makes for an excellent fit.
- A wide brim hat with Bemis seam tapes offers superior protection when exploring the outdoors.
- The MultiCam color design is available in Tropic, Arid, Black, Desert 3-Color, and Army Digital for extra protection when hunting game.
- This best Boonie hat for the sun is also available at an affordable price, despite its high-quality material and superior design features.
- This best military Boonie hat brand by Tru-Spec ensures that the design caters to all extramural activities. Use this Boonie while hunting, hiking, camping, or simply enjoying a home barbecue.
- One customer was disappointed with the advertising of this product as the brim was larger than shown in the image.
- Note that this camo Boonie hat is not 100% content but a 50/50 nylon cotton blend.
- Product information does not specify whether this is the best waterproof Boonie hat.
- Wash to shrink to size if the fit is initially a bit loose.
- Hand Washable
- Adjustable and meets military specs
- Made from 100% cotton with a 50/50 nylon-cotton rip-stop and flexible chin strap with cord lock for an adjustable fit
- Multiple loops to carry items and additional camouflage
- Inbuilt map pocket
2. Runner Up – Sombriolet Sun Hat
Try the Sombriolet sun hat as an ideal option for the best Boonie hat for hiking.
If you’re not into hiking, this men’s Boonie hat provides excellent protection no matter what activity you choose.
Our Buying Guide features this best Boonie hat as second on the list because of its moisture-wicking material.
If you’re standing for long hours fishing, for example, add some sun protection lotion to your face and neck, and you’re set for the day.
Material: 18% nylon, 14% polyester
Closure: Pull-on closure mechanism
Color: Multiple options
- This product is not the best waterproof Boonie hat, but it doesn’t need to be waterproof. Unique materials ensure this hat is water-resistant, which keeps your face dry in sweltering conditions due to moisture-wicking fabric.
- Breathable panels and airy side vents help prevent excess sweat while the headband is moisture-absorbent.
- Keep the sun off your face with a firm brim that includes foam-stiffening support.
- No matter how active your outdoor activity becomes, you can use one hand to adjust the drawcord to keep your Boonie on your head. You can also remove the drawcord if it bothers you.
- This best men’s Boonie hat is incredibly lightweight, weighing only 3.8 ounces.
- Choose from multiple colors, including pumpkin, cascade, mars, dusk, fatigue, khaki, and others.
- Use your Sombriolet best Boonie hat for sun on the beach, playing tennis, kayaking, or for any other activity during the hot summer months.
- This best Boonie hat brand is reasonably priced, but some people may consider it to be on the expensive end.
- The Boonie sides curve upwards, so don’t expect a hat with a flat brim if this product appeals to you.
- The hat brim does not have stitching to reinforce it, so it can be a tad floppy.
- An air pocket at the rear of the hat tends to pucker, which tends to spoil its overall appearance.
- Hand wash only
- Sun protection with a UPF 50+ rating
- Moisture-wicking headband
- Breathable side vents
- Multiple-use best Boonie hat
3. Alternative 1 – Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Hat with Chin Cord
Known as the outback hat due to its Aussie origins, this Dorfman best Boonie hat is truly stylish.
With the leather appearance of this best men’s Boonie hat, you can take on a rugged look while testing your prowess outdoors.
Despite the elegant look of this best Boonie, you still get the benefits of protection from sun, wind, and rain.
Material: 52% cotton, 48% polyester
Closure: None specified
Color: Black, brown, bark
- This best men’s Boonie hat offers excellent breathability as an outback hat made from a mix of cotton and polyester.
- The fabric combination also ensures that this product is strong, resistant to unsightly wrinkling and tears.
- Although this best Boonie hat brand is attractive, it is also highly functional. Customers will enjoy its highly rated sun protection factor due to the hat’s broad brim. You will also revel in the fact that this best men’s Boonie hat affords 360-degree protection from adverse weather conditions for your face, ears, and nape.
- The Boonie brim is a broad 2.7″, with adjustable shaping to suit any preference.
- Step out into hot days with confidence in this men’s Boonie hat with its premium moisture-wicking properties.
- Use the chin strap to adjust this western hat for comfort.
- Some customers complain about receiving defective Boonie hats via the post. One complaint was that the crown peak was weak, making it look as if the product had been used or was due to a poor-quality check.
- Sub-standard stitching was present in this best Boonie brand, which was disappointing for this customer.
- Unfortunately, this is not the best waterproof Boonie hat, but neither is it made to be waterproof.
- Broad brim
- Interior brow brand
- UPF 50+ sun protection rating
- Shapeable rim
4. Alternative 2 – LETHMIK Outdoor Waterproof Boonie Hat Wide Brim Breathable Hunting Fishing Safari Sun Hat
LETHMIK makes the best Boonie hat for hiking, fishing, and any other outdoor activity you can conceive. Of all the men’s Boonie hats in this Buying Guide, this is the best waterproof Boonie hat on the list.
If you’re after an all-around, all-weather hat for any outdoor activity–this is the one. This Boonie hat has just about everything you would look for in an outdoor hat despite its low price.
Material: 100% Polyester
Closure: Drawstring closure
Color: Gray, black, beige
- Suitable for women and men who want to look stylish, even in the outdoor environment.
- This best waterproof Boonie hat has a wide brim for complete sun protection.
- Quality stitching and support ensure that this Boonie hat retains its shape for years to come.
- Lightweight polyester fabric weighing only 0.2 lbs. ensures an extra cooling feature in this product.
- Additional cooling qualities of this Boonie hat include breathable mesh fabric on the crown and sides.
- Your Boonie hat is foldable and crush-resistant to ensure you stay stylish. This hat takes up so little space that you can store it in your pocket when not in use.
- An adjustable wind chin strap keeps this hat where it’s meant to be at all times.
- Style your hat in various ways without losing its integrity.
- Not machine washable.
- Do not brush this Boonie hat, or it will negatively influence the fabric’s appearance.
- Not all hat designs fit everyone. One customer claims that the hat depth is too much, leaving a large space of emptiness around his crown.
- The fit of this hat is also not ideal for some people’s head shapes as it lies too far down on the forehead and covers the ears. Perhaps a smaller size would have been a better fit for this customer.
- Hand wash only
- Rear drawstring with adjustable elastic
- Packable for easy travel
- Adjustable brim for various style options
- Air vents
- Sizes available from 7-7 5/8 (22-24”)
5. Alternative 3 – Rapiddominance Boonies Hat
Rapiddominance is the best Boonie hat brand when it comes to camouflage. Avid outdoors people will also find this to be the best Boonie hat for the sun, whether you need it for military use or hunting.
Start your adventure in hiking, hunting, kayaking, or even gardening with protection to keep your head safe from challenging weather conditions. Consider this men’s Boonie hat if you love hunting season to make yourself invisible in forested areas.
Material: 45% polyester, 55% cotton
Closure: Drawstring closure
Color: Universal digital
- Get your best camo Boonie hat in various colors, including black, digital woodland, khaki, olive, woodland, woodland digital, desert, digital universal.
- The excellent universal digital color designs make this best men’s Boonie a perfect choice for military ops and hunting as you become virtually invisible against the landscape.
- Available in sizes from small to XL.
- The chin strap and secure cord lock ensure your Boonie stays on your head. The strap is also adjustable for comfort.
- Carry this best military Boonie hat with you wherever you go because it is lightweight, crush resistance, and easily foldable. Military men should also find that this Boonie meets military specs.
- Store valuable things in the multiple bands around the hat, including lighters, small tools, and other vital outdoor items.
- Boonie hat quality and size vary between suppliers.
- Some of these best Boonie hats are made in Vietnam, while others are manufactured in Bangladesh, resulting in product variations.
- Due to various suppliers, the stitching quality also differs in these imports.
- Depending on the supplier, these Boonie hats may come with different logos.
- Lightweight, crushable
- Flat top and brim
- Military specs
- Secure cord lock on chin strap
Boonie Hat For Hunting FAQs
The men’s Boonie hat has a fascinating history. This best Boonie hat was initially used in the military to protect forces from the heat in tropical climates. Now, the Boonie hat includes additional branch loops around the top for foliage to increase camouflage.
Read on to discover the uses of the best men’s Boonie hat and how it should fit. Learn whether Boonie hats are waterproof and several ways to clean your men’s Boonie hats in our FAQs section.
What is the best Boonie hat good for?
The best men’s Boonie hat is made from a firm fabric with extra stitching in specific areas like the brim for support.
Other than containing branch loops around the crown in some hats, the Boonie hat also comes with mesh paneling and ventilation for cooling. Some of the best Boonie hats include fastening snaps to secure the sides of the hat, which give it the appearance of an Australian bush or giggle hat.
During the Vietnam war, the Boonie hat became popular to protect soldiers from the sun, rain, and wind. Many of the best military Boonie hats offer loads of protection from the weather, but their primary purpose is camouflage.
Soldiers insert sticks and leaves into the straps on their hats to blend in with their environments.
Other than making Boonie hats for tropical climates and foliage, manufacturers also create other camo Boonie hats to blend in with deserts and other environments.
Besides being the best military Boonie hats with a range of fascinating camo designs, these hats are suitable for other purposes.
Many outdoors people wear these hats for hunting as it gives them an extra edge when stalking their prey.
Some men enjoy colorful Boonie hats to make a fashion statement while walking. Others wear their Boonie hats when gardening or enjoying an outdoor barbecue with the family.
Many men and women will opt to wear the best Boonie hat for the sun while enjoying a day at the beach.
Whether you want the best waterproof Boonie hat or simply want to appear stylish in the best Boonie hat brand–this headgear is versatile and multipurpose.
How is a Boonie hat supposed to fit?
1. Loose front strap style
You can wear the retention strap hanging loosely around your neck when there is little wind around. If the wind does blow lightly from the front, this loose front strap style will still prevent loss as the Boonie hat will blow backward but seldom blow away.
Similarly, if you snag your Boonie hat on shrubbery while hunting, a loose front strap will prevent choking. And you will easily be able to retrieve your hat from the bush.
2. Loose rear strap style
You can choose the loose rear strap style to wear the best men’s Boonie hat. Simply tie the strap loosely and let it hang down your back. If it is a windy day and the wind is behind you, your hat may blow forwards, but the strap will keep it safe. You will need to experiment with retention strap length to prevent discomfort and ensure your hat doesn’t blow away altogether.
3. On top or underneath?
Opt to tie the retention strap on top of the hat or tie it up snugly underneath it. These two methods provide stylish versatility in calm weather conditions. Choose which one is comfortable for you.
4. Go strapless
You can also remove the strap from your best Boonie hat if it irritates you.
5. Go for a snug fit
Your best men’s Boonie hat should fit comfortably. Purchase a hat size that offers protection and is a snug fit.
Some Boonie hat fabrics tend to stretch with use, so go for one that has a firm fit. Alternatively, some washable Boonie hats tend to shrink after washing, so experiment with the best Boonie hat brands to find your ideal fit.
Are Boonie hats waterproof?
Few of the best Boonie hat brands are waterproof. Most of these waterproof Boonie hats are water-resistant rather than waterproof. The reason for this is that these hats frequently include vents to promote airflow for cooling.
Many of the best waterproof Boonie hats are advertised as such due to the moisture-wicking properties of the fabric. This moisture-wicking fabric is sweat-absorbent, helping keep your face and head dry in hot weather.
Even though the best waterproof Boonie hats aren’t entirely waterproof, their design helps keep the rain away from the head. The best Boonie hat design includes reinforced stitching and thicker fabric in the brim and headband areas. Thick material and stitching in select areas double protection from moisture–creating intense water-resistant Boonie hats for men.
Water-resistant Boonie hats are the preferred choice of headgear for many outdoor activities. These hats have been popular for decades and remain the choice for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and kayakers who understand the need to protect themselves from inclement weather.
Go through the Buying Guide to identify the best waterproof Boonie hat for your work or play. Whether you want a camo Boonie hat for military exercises or fishing, the list above offers you a choice of five of the best Boonie hats for sun protection and more.
Can you wash a Boonie hat?
Most Boonie hats for men advise against washing them in an automatic washing machine. It is unwise to wash Boonie hats in a washing machine as the vigorous motion can damage any stiffening or stitching, making the hat floppy.
So, how then do you keep a Boonie hat clean? Thankfully, you can use several methods to wash your Boonie hat.
1. Option one – brushing
Purchase a suitable brush to get rid of the dirt on your best Boonie hat. Use a brush with stiff bristles for this job. Something like a nail brush or a larger cleaning brush will do the trick. Dip the tip of the brush in a bit of water and vigorously brush the hat in a back-and-forth motion.
2. Cleaning treated men’s Boonie hats
When you have a men’s Boonie hat treated with oil or wax, rinsing it under running water should be enough to keep it clean.
3. Cleaning untreated Boonie hats
If you purchase a camo Boonie hat that has not been treated, then clean it with a stiff-bristled brush. You can also buy a powder cleaner to remove stubborn marks and remove these with the brush.
4. Waterproof spray
Purchase a waterproof spray to turn your water-resistant tactical Boonie hat into one that is waterproof. Waterproof sprays make cleaning your best Boonie hat much easier, as the spray prevents dirt from seeping into the fabric. Instead, the dirt and grime remain on the surface of the waterproof spray, which you can easily wipe off with a damp cloth or powder cleaner.
Our Buying Guide reviews the top five best Boonie hats. Each of these products has its advantages and drawbacks. Decide why you want to wear a Boonie hat and make your purchase decision according to this purpose.
Follow our FAQs to learn what Boonie hats are good for and how to wear the best men’s Boonie hats. Some Boonie hats are waterproof, and some are water-resistant.
However, an excellent waterproof spray helps keep your best Boonie hat clean, among other cleaning methods. Experiment with these cleaning methods to find the best one to keep your new headgear in tip-top shape.