A hunter is never be prepared enough without the best hunting knife. A good hunting knife serves multiple purposes. Activities such as skinning, deboning, or field dressing require the best hunting knife brand.
When searching for the right tool, a Buying Guide offers excellent reviews, so go for the best hunting knife brand as a start. A hunting knife comes in handy as a vital tool to carry outdoors, but they have many variations, styles, and uses.
Because we understand the overwhelming task of purchasing a hunting knife, it is advisable to read some of the best hunting knife reviews around.
Besides providing mini-reviews to guide your purchase, you can also go through our FAQs section. Here, you will find well-researched answers to questions about hunting knives. Discover the best hunting knife for the money you want to spend.
Our Buying Guide highlights the five best hunting knives you should consider. This Buying Guide takes knife specs into account together with product information.
This guide ranks the best hunting knife and four others on the blade material, handle material, and size of each product.
Then, we give you the pros and cons of each best hunting knife review to help you make an informed decision about which knife to take with you on your next hunting trip.
Best Knives For Hunting:
1. Winner: Buck Knives 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife
Our Buying Guide ranks the Buck 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife as the best. This all-American Buck 119 comes in handy for any field hunting activity you prefer.
If you are searching for a hunting knife for field dressing or skinning, this is the best product for you.
A good hunter chooses the best tools for a hunting trip. The unique features of the Buck 119 make it one of the best hunting knives around.
Let’s look at the specs, pros, and cons that make this brand the best hunting knife. Make sure you read this detailed review of the best hunting knife so you can make an excellent choice about which knife to take with you on your next hunting trip.
Blade material: 420HC Stainless steel
Handle material: Phenolic handle, palm swells, and aluminum pommel
Size: 12” long and 0.175” blade thickness
- This best hunting knife is multipurpose. You can use it out in the field and even indoors! It has incredible capabilities that make it hard-wearing. This hunting knife can serve you efficiently for years. If you prefer a large hunting knife for field dressing or skinning, this is the best option.
- This product also comes with a high-quality leather sheath, which adds to the allure of this high-quality product.
- This best hunting knife offers value for money and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can only imagine the confidence that the brand has with this knife, which one customer supports because they have been using their Buck 119 for 30 years!
- If you are not happy with your purchase, you can quickly get a replacement for your knife. Buck Knives also offers to refurbish or sharpen your knife immediately.
- The razor-sharp blade provides hunters with confidence in the efficiency and reliability of this product. As the best hunting knife in this review, the Buck 119 comes in handy for any purpose. Whether you want to debone or skin your deer, the sharp blades give you an extra edge to do a neat job.
- Every hunter aims for a knife with the best handle grip, and the Buck 199 does not disappoint. Your hand size is irrelevant with this knife as you will find this best hunting knife provides you with an excellent grip.
- Easily portable, the Buck 119 comes with a leather sheath and a belt loop for convenient portability. You can comfortably wear this knife around your waist for use at any time, and this best hunting knife is also lightweight but sturdy.
- An import of the same brand may not offer the same quality and durability.
- The size limits your use of the knife.
- One customer complaint involves the poor finish on the handle and the blade of this hunting knife, which is a shame considering its reputation.
- Brand: Buck Knives
- Weight: 0.3 lbs.
- Model: 119
- Color: Black:
- Size: 10.8”x4.8”x1.50”
2. Runners UP: 12" Tactical Bowie Survival Hunting Knife
Try the 12″ Tactical Bowie Survival Hunting Knife as an option for your next best hunting knife purchase. This best hunting knife review ranks it second on the list for several reasons.
The Tactical Bowie Survival Knife fits the category of a large hunting knife. If you are looking for something efficient and tactical, consider this product.
Original design and features make it stand out as the best hunting knife available. You get to enjoy a solid military quality knife for your hunting adventure. Our mini-review rates this product as the best option for someone who loves having his or her hunting knives on a leg strap.
Blade material: 440HC Stainless steel
Handle material: Knurled grip acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS).
- This product comes with a rigid composite sheath. A composite sheath protects your knife and you in case of a fall while stalking your prey.
- This best hunting knife comes with a double saw-edge spine. A saw-edge spine helps you cut through bones without damaging the razor-sharp edge of your knife. Hunters will undoubtedly appreciate how strong this knife is when they learn that it can quickly cut through a Ferro rod.
- The knife sheath is easy to open and fasten. You can attach this best hunting knife to your leg with a leg strap. The composite sheath protects your leg from harm if you fall, and the sheath design also ensures you have easy access to your knife when necessary.
- Hunters will enjoy the knurled grip handle made of ABS material. This ergonomic handle design provides comfort and a firm grip when using your knife.
- If you are someone who enjoys knives of a military standard, the tactical style of this product should meet your exacting standards as one of the best hunting knife brands on the market.
- The clip-pointed knife shape ensures easier penetration when skinning a deer and is suitable for hunting and tactical purposes.
- Because the knife material is robust, it won’t easily break or bend.
- You might have to spend time sharpening this hunting knife as some customers claim it is blunt on delivery.
- This best hunting knife for the money does not come with a leg strap. You have to buy one for easier portability if you prefer this carry method.
- The sheath is brittle. When the sheath hits a solid surface, it easily shatters. So, be cautious when handling it.
- Mishandle this product, and you may break the handle. Also, check that the screws are tight when you receive this knife to prevent breakage following a fall.
- Brand: Snake Eye Tactical
- Weight: 1.06 lbs.
- Model: 12” bowie combat, hunting, survival
- Color: Black
- Package Size: 14.49”x3.11”x1.77”
3. Alternative 1: SEAL Pup Elite Survival Knife
Go for this AUS-8 Bowie Knife as the first alternative to the best hunting knife in this mini-review.
Anyone who loves knives will find this one suitable for assorted reasons, including hunting. A knife with excellent balance for camping, tactical survival, or hiking also makes for a more pleasant outdoor experience. If you’re a tactical enthusiast, this product might be your best option.
This knife design was inspired by the US Navy Seals’ preferences for a tactical survival knife design.
Atomic-level hardening makes it the best hunting knife for survival and other purposes. Not only is this survival knife rugged due to its unique artisanship, but it is also lightweight, making for easy handling.
Blade material: Stainless steel
Handle material: Glass-reinforced nylon
- This best hunting knife is easy to carry because of the MOLLE-compatible sheath attachment. You can carry this knife in your backpack or purchase a leg strap to take it with you wherever you need to go.
- In terms of strength, this hunting knife includes a full tang and titanium nitrate coat, which is complemented by intense cryogenic heat treatment. Enjoy the quality and resilience of this multipurpose product.
- Customer service is ready to help with any repair or replacement requests, which simply increases the value of this best hunting knife brand.
- Outdoor people will discover that the knife handle offers excellent balance, which you can immediately feel when gripping the handle. The handle design ensures safety when handling the knife.
- Any hunter will enjoy this best hunting knife’s razor-sharp edge for efficient skinning and other tasks at home or in the wild.
- Protection of the knife blade is a given since the titanium nitride coating shields your hunting knife from scratches and corrosion.
- One customer review highlights an inferior quality knife sheath as you can easily cut the retainer strap of the sheath when removing the knife.
- Another customer comment mentions that you must take it to a blacksmith for sharpening.
- The Taiwan imports are disappointing.
- Brand: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools.
- Style: SEAL Pup Elite – 4.85” black TiNi blade.
- Weight: 0.76 lbs.
- Model: E37SN-CP
- Color: Black:
- Blade length: 4.85”
- Package size: 5”x5”x5″
4. Alternative 2: Gerber GE31-001159 0539-0742 Myth Field Dress
Try out this hunting knife with a gut hook as the second alternative and fourth in this mini-review for your hunting trip. This Gerber Myth Field Dress is perfect if you want to enjoy field dressing and skinning that deer while on a game hunt.
With this hunting kit, you get a plain knife and a hunting knife with a gut hook. The hunting kit prepares you well for any outdoor activity.
Field dressing is typically only a pleasant experience when you have the right kit. This best hunting knife gives buyers value for their money while affording you the efficiency and precision you need while field dressing a dear.
Gerber Myth Field Dress kit has excellent handles. Whether you have beefy or thin hands, you will always feel the comfort and grip of the handle.
Blade material: Stainless steel.
Handle material: Texturized rubber
- This best knife brand comes as a complete dressing kit. It is an all-in-one package for your hunting trip. You get to skin a deer and do field dressing in just a few minutes. The package also contains a hunting knife with a gut to extract the animal’s internal organs with ease.
- Hunters will inevitably value this hunting knife with its gut hook, which provides an exceptional experience when working outdoors due to its sharpness and resilience.
- This product comes with its own puncture-proof sheath to protect your knife from external damage. The sheath design is also tactical and classy.
- Carrying extra kit when on the hunt can be a hassle unless you can have another storage plan. Luckily, you can store this kit in your backpack or on a belt loop.
- This best knife brand is available with a limited lifetime warranty.
- When you’re stalking your prey out in the wild, you don’t want to suddenly discover that your hunting knife is blunt. Now, you needn’t worry about this issue, as your best hunting knife also has a built-in carbide sharpener. You can easily sharpen your knives while in the great outdoors.
- You have to apply good pressure for this small knife to fit into the sheath. Similarly, the sheath is tight, so it may take time to withdraw the knife–until it loosens up slightly.
- You have to sharpen the hunting knife with a gut hook a little more for better efficiency.
- The carbide sharpener does not do a decent job compared to a sand belt sharpener.
- Brand: Gerber Legendary Blades
- Weight: 0.85 lbs.
- Model: 31-001159
- Color: Black
- Blade length: Gut knife; 3.75,” small knife, 3.25”
- Package size: 12.99”x5.51”x2.56”
5. Alternative 3: Handmade 4” Damascus Steel EDC Pocket Folding Knife
Most people find Damascus steel knives to be top quality, which is why the Damascus Steel EDC Pocket Folding Knife is an excellent purchase for any great knife enthusiast.
Although this product does not fit the category of a large hunting knife, it does an excellent job as a pocket knife.
If you want the ideal gift for a hunting enthusiast, this is the best hunting knife brand. It is handmade with exquisite craftsmanship and style.
Another feature that makes this the best hunting knife brand is its leather sheath. The
unique design of the knife and sheath means that this product is the ultimate tool for a
typical hunting trip.
You receive both a pocket knife and a sharpening rod with this purchase, adding to the overall value that this brand delivers.
Blade material: 095HC and 15N20 nickel carbon steel
Handle material: Olivewood
- Guaranteed durability. This best hunting knife for the money can serve you for a long time. It ranks it at the top of the best hunting knife brands because the metal bar on the knife is heated and folded 250 times using press machines. This method ensures the strength and longevity of this simple hunting knife.
- The hand-sewn leather on this pocket knife sheath is unique. Simply store the knife in your pocket for safety and enjoy the extended warrantee for even more value for money.
- This hunting knife has an exotic olivewood handle, which gives this product unmatched beauty. Olivewood is rare and beautiful due to its creamy and golden-brown color and is the perfect complement for a blade made from Damascus steel.
- You can use your multipurpose knife for fishing, camping, or hunting.
- This best hunting knife needs more attention and care. You must wash the leather sheath with lukewarm water and soap and dry it away from heat.
- Rust may appear on the knife blade. High carbon concentration in the blade may cause rusting and bluing. You must take extra care of the blade after use by ensuring it is clean and dry.
- Brand: Midelo
- Weight: 0.77 lbs.
- Model: Olivewood
- Color: Brown
- Blade length: 4”
- Package size: 8.5”x1.5”x0.5”
- Blade edge: Plain
Best hunting knife FAQs
Many people have diverse questions about the best hunting knife brands. Some people often wonder which metal makes the best hunting knife.
As a frequent hunter, it is crucial to know if the expensive ones stay sharper for a longer time. Stainless steel has often been a subject of discussion whether it is ideal for hunting knives.
Here are several responses to FAQs that you may find helpful when it comes to purchasing hunting knives.
What is the best metal for hunting knives?
Steel is undoubtedly a superior metal to use in the best hunting knives. AUS-8 is a type of steel commonly used to craft hunting knife blades, but some are made from440hc or 440c steel.
Other metals used in knife making include two common steel alloys, which are carbon and stainless steel.
Stainless steel is a sought-after material in hunting knives because it contains elevated levels of chromium, making it rust and corrosion-resistant. Hunting knives made from stainless steel often remain sharp, making them convenient for your hunting experience.
Carbon steel is easier to maintain and has an unmatched sharpness compared to any other metal. Look at our best hunting knife reviews to see some carbon alloys used in steel. An example is the 095HC and 15N20 nickel carbon steel.
Carbon steel has hard blades for better edge retention. Conversely, this alloy ensures that you can easily sharpen your best hunting knife. The carbon steel alloy means your knife blade stays sharp for more extended periods.
Is stainless steel good for a hunting knife?
Stainless steel is a good metal for making the best hunting knife. Stainless steel is durable because it is less susceptible to rust and corrosion. The performance in terms of sharpness, strength, and durability is also superb.
The best hunting knife in the world is made of stainless steel or alloys. Stainless steel hunting knives are durable, and the color does not fade. The hunting knife’s edge retention is impressive since you don’t need to sharpen it each time you go for a hunt.
The best hunting knife review recommends a stainless-steel hunting knife. Hunters frequently must do field dressing or skinning while out on a hunt, which requires them to use the best hunting knife brand. The best hunting knife brands are made from stainless steel.
Is Damascus steel strong?
Damascus steel strength varies depending on the quality and mix of various alloys, including a hybrid, traditional, and V2.
Hybrid Damascus steel is a blend of stainless steel and carbon steel, making it a strong composition for blades. Damascus steel undergoes a heat treatment to retain knife edges and has a high tolerance level in the field.
Traditional Damascus steel mainly contains carbon. The high carbon content makes it strong and resistant to corrosion after it goes through a series of physical states.
V2 Damascus steel is a blend of Martensitic and Austenitic stainless steel, creating its overall hardness. V2 Damascus is heat-treated to maintain its tolerance and strength.
Do expensive knives stay sharper longer?
Expensive knives often stay sharper for a longer time. However, please don’t base your purchase on prices as this can be disappointing, so it is necessary to consider the steel alloy in expensive knife brands before making a purchase. If the blade consists of high-quality steel, it should remain sharp for extended periods.
How you maintain your knife is also vital in terms of maintaining its sharpness. To care for your best hunting knife, always ensure you keep it clean and dry.
Some carbon steel alloys are susceptible to rust, influencing the blade’s sharpness, so always clean your knife well and ensure it is dry before storing.
Our best hunting knife review discussed the best hunting knife for your outdoor activities. The five top knives are ideal for hunting, fishing, and other activities, so explore all the features of these knives before making a purchase.
Once you complete the reviews, the FAQs section offers further information on knife blade composition and care. Take your time to explore your choices so that you end up with a product you can proudly take on your hunt.